A little about me

My photo
jacksonville, FL, United States
Born in Honolulu and raised on the island of Kauai, Hawaii,I'm a Kanaka Ma'oli,my ohana is the Waiwaioles from kauai.Dedicating my recipes to my keikeis and mo'opunas.This site is to preserve my children's Hawaiian heritage and to remember the connection to the Islands as well as the Mainland

Mea māka'ika'i(visitors)

Monday, July 14, 2008

chicken long rice



Ingredients:
1 4oz bundle Oriental vermicelli*
2 3-4 lbs fryers
2-3 slices Ginger
slivers of carrots
1 Tbsp Salt
White pepper
1 tsp MSG (optional)
Scallions (green onions), chopped
2-3 Tbsp Shoyu

Cooking Instructions:
Cover dry vermicelli with warm water and let stand for 1/2 hour. Cover chicken with water, add ginger, salt and simmer till chicken is tender. cool, Remove chicken from bones and cut into pieces. Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper, MSG. Discard ginger slices from broth. Cut vermicelli into 4 inch lengths. Add vermicelli, scallions and carrots to chicken broth with shoyu. Simmer for 15 minutes. Correct seasoning. Add deboned chicken and cook till chicken is hot.
Additional Comments:
To prepare ahead: Make chicken long rice the night before the dinner but omit final 15 minute simmering. Cool, cover and refrigerate. The vermicelli absorbs a great deal of liquid so when reheating, replenish liquid loss with more seasoned chicken broth or water. * Dried bean threads made of beans. Thin, transparent. It looks like nylon and is nearly as impossible to break when dry.

1 comment:

Startoy said...

I am so happy that you are posting your recipes! The food that you cook is so delicious and your presentation of the food is so professional and beautiful! I miss your cooking so much and am so thankful to you for posting them here.
Love you!
Judy